Question:
does any one know any info on a company called Brown Bros & Co ltd,Rosebank Ironworks, Edingborough?
leggyloo2
2006-05-31 01:51:29 UTC
I have bought a wooden ships wheel with a brass inlay on the outer wheel with the company name Brown Bros, Rosebank Ironworks, Edingborough. There's a number on the wheel & I am trying to find out if I can trace the wheel to a ship. Any help would be great. Thanks
Two answers:
Jim
2006-06-01 12:17:12 UTC
There was a company called Brown Bros at the Rosebank Ironworks, Shrubhill in Edinburgh but the foundry is gone now.

There is a repository of papers from Brown Bros at the Edinburgh City Archive. You might find something there. Here are the contact details:

Department of Corporate Services

City of Edinburgh Council

City Chambers

High Street

Edinburgh

EH1 1YJ

Scotland

Tel: 0131 529 4616

Fax: 0131 529 4957

Edinburgh City Archivist : Mr Richard Hunter
?
2015-08-23 20:25:17 UTC
This company no longer exists in Edinburgh. The former site of the company is now a housing development. The company relocated to Dunfermline in Fife. I understand the Company is now part of the Rolls Royce group of companies. There present premises do not manufacture, but is limited to Sales